Wednesday 26 January 2011

Sisterhood in India

I've finally tapped into it. Always before I've struggled to find a sense of camaraderie  between me and the Indian women. There have been times in previous trips were something rubbish has happened and I felt let down by the women around me.  I was greeted with dismissal or without recognition. As a Westerner with the freedom and the financial means to travel, I was unfathomable. But now, as a mother, I am the same. Women everywhere make eye contact with me and exchange knowing looks. As I left the Rat Temple the other day with Martha crying in my arms, every woman I passed looked and smiled in sympathy or simply nodded with understanding that I was dealing with a difficult moment. It's lovely. I realise now how much it has bothered me previously.

In the past all my friendships I have made with the locals have been with men. On this trip, I hope I will learn to understand more what it is to be born a woman in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment