Monday 3 January 2011

10 years later...

I'm finally doing it! Planning ANOTHER TRIP TO INDIA!!! Can't quite believe it. I'm going to be the one other travellers look at and think, "Oh my God, travelling around India with three kids- she's brave/insane/cool/crazy..." Actually I'm all of those. We always promised ourselves one epic adventure every decade, and as you can see from the title of this chapter in my life, time was fast running out on this decade of child rearing, sleepless nights (for the dullest of reasons, school runs, drama groups, football matches, pony club, Brownies, Beavers and Toddlers, reading books and spelling tests.

Gone have been the days of backpacks, long distance journeys and undiscovered places. The Contented Little Baby and Toddler Taming took the place of the Lonely Planet. We made a valiant effort to maintain the vaguest of customs from pre-parenthood. There have been some brilliant late night parties which we have approached with a determined defiance that "we can still do it", but boy, the price is high the next day. And the next one...

But now here we are about to embark on the greatest act of defiance our children have ever witnessed. We will go to India. They will love it, just as we do. It will change their lives a bit like it did for us. They can't fail to be touched by the way so many children in India live.

When I made my first call to Trailfinders to get a quote for flights, I had to give the age of the child. The guy on the end of the phone let out a low whistle and said simply, "wow,"
"I know," I replied, "I can't believe we're having this conversation,"

No comments:

Post a Comment